In August 2021, the French American School of Denver (FASDenver) made history by becoming the first and only public French immersion program to serve the Denver area. Our mission is to cultivate bilingual, bi-literate learners through a French language-immersion curriculum that adheres to the highest educational standards of both the United States and France. At FASDenver we are committed to fostering a diverse learning environment that encourages critical thinking, creativity, and empathy. We don’t just teach students, we inspire a passion for language, culture, and global thinking.
Now in its dynamic third year, FASDenver currently serves nearly 200 students in grades K-5. Recognized as an official “Cool School” by Denver 9News, FASDenver has become known as a hub for academic excellence and innovation. As we chart our course into the future, FASDenver is gearing up for an exhilarating expansion into middle school for the 2024-25 academic year. This isn't just a job; it's an invitation to be at the helm of a transformative moment in our history. We are seeking a visionary Principal/School Director who isn't afraid to blaze new trails, shape young minds, and be a driving force in the ongoing success story of FASDenver.
Position Summary: The French American School of Denver Principal/School Director serves as the chief executive officer, overseeing all aspects of FASDenver’s programs and operational functions, and is an ardent supporter and fierce advocate for the FASDenver mission and vision. The ideal candidate has strong alignment with our mission and vision, understanding the importance of a bilingual education and the significance it has in the life of our learners. The School Director/Principal has a record of excellent leadership and communication, a passion for engaging with students, the ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholder groups, and capacity to build and cultivate exceptional teams.
The School Director / Principal is a visible and engaged presence in the day-to-day operations of the school and champions initiatives that promote diversity, equity, and belonging among students and families, faculty, and staff. The School Director / Principal will display the highest integrity, confidence, courage and conviction in leading FASDenver to identify new opportunities that will add to the school’s growth and bolster its presence among the wider community and educational landscape.
- Minimum five years of professional experience as a school administrator or similar key leadership position within a school setting.
- Master’s Degree in Education, School Administration or other relevant area.
- Current Colorado (or transferrable) Principal / School Administrator’s Credential.
- Exceptional communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience working as a teacher, ideally within a charter school setting.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Knowledge of curriculum development and program design related to dual immersion and French language development in both native and non-native French speaking students.
- Charter school leadership experience.
- School start-up experience.
- Bilingual and biliterate in French and English.
- Minimum three years of teaching experience in bilingual, immersion or foreign language classrooms.
- Experience working with staff from diverse and international backgrounds.
- Computer savvy, working knowledge of school platforms and / or school communication applications.
- Familiarity / experience navigating relationships with Denver Public Schools and / or the Colorado Department of Education.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Provide leadership, direction, management, and accountability in the areas of instruction and curriculum, student educational development and achievement, safety and security, student discipline, human resources, and operational and financial management.
School Culture and Climate
- Steward the values of the school and organizational culture.
- Lead and commit to fostering a dynamic and academically rigorous educational program.
- Develop and maintain a culture of respect and inclusion that attracts, motivates, and retains staff.
- Cultivate positive relationships with students, staff, parents/guardians, community members, and actively seek community involvement and feedback .
- Commit to creating an inclusive community that builds diversity and equity.
- Solve problems and focus on needs by analyzing data, researching possible solutions and/or improvements for effective outcomes.
- Drive the student recruitment and enrollment process and build healthy enrollment through effective marketing strategies.
- Foster existing community partnerships and identify possibilities to widen or deepen partnerships.
- Communicate regularly and effectively to support the whole FASDenver community and encourage PTO engagement.
- Maintain a positive relationship with our school authorizer (Denver Public Schools) the Colorado Dept. of Education and other educational institutions. Operations and Finance
- Ensure education and regulatory compliance at local, state, and federal levels.
- Implement policy, oversee day-to-day operations, including school safety and emergency procedures.
- Prioritize creating and maintaining a safe, inclusive, and nurturing environment.
- Administer faculty certifications and CPI training.
- Oversee budgeting and financial reporting to ensure accurate financial management to prevent deficit spending and analyze school cash flow. ● Secure all needed revenues and achieve enrollment projections.
- Oversee all capital projects.
Leadership & Management
- Foster a thriving workplace culture that champions professional growth, collaboration, and mutual respect.
- Spearhead HR operations and recruitment efforts, ensuring the school attracts and retains top-tier educators.
- Build a strong, cohesive team and provide professional development and mentoring for teachers and staff.
- Facilitate curriculum alignment between French and US systems, and effectively evaluate and assist staff.
- Engage students daily, modeling respect, leadership, and service. Board Relations
- Maintain an open and positive working relationship with the Board; attend all Board meetings and report on academic performance, school safety, fundraising, compliance, etc.
- Engage in a collaborative and intentional strategic planning process to achieve growth and advance FASDenver’s mission.
- Identify opportunities and areas of growth and communicate those areas to the Board of Directors.
- Develop and manage the annual school budget providing direction for short- and long-term spending priorities and develop sustainable practices around building reserves.
The French American School of Denver Search Committee welcomes applications, nominations, and inquiries, and will begin reviewing materials immediately. Requested application materials at this stage include a letter of interest and current resume. Greatest consideration will be given to applications submitted by January 31, 2024. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Candidate materials should be sent to: email@example.com.